www.TMoodyDesigns.com

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Should dogs be taught manners?

The doorbell rings. Bella and Mia, my two loyal dogs, bark on cue. I let them get it out of their system, then I hush them. When I answer the door, they rush pass me and try to sniff and jump on my poor guest. Of course, I gently scold them as I pull them down and order them to leave my guest alone.

Do my dogs have bad manners? I believe so. Should owners teach their dog manners? I think so. I've seen the display of dog with no manners more times than I want to remember. I cringe as I watch an owner's dog jump, sniff, and beg for attention. All I can think of, is comparing them to a young child impatiently pulling on the pants leg of their parent while they try to talk to another adult. Do we tell the child to stop? Yes. So, why don't we tell our pets to stop?

6 comments:

Turning the Clock Back said...

I have been doing dog training off and on for 12 years...if you need suggestions just let me know. Do you have small dogs? I have shepherds and I just can't have them jumping on people (although the 11 month old puppy still hasnt figured that out yet...not sure she's the brightest bulb in the package!)

Autumn Leaves said...

Yes indeed they should!! Now...can you tell me how to do it? LOL I keep trying and trying and trying. Just like with the rest of the family, no one listens to me!!

Life With Dogs said...

Easy - I'm just a giant pushover. :)

Anonymous said...

Many people doesn't enjoy that but I love getting into a house with dog's greetings, that's nothing better :D

I saw another blog, the Starting a mom blog, I'm excited with the idea. Hope to see it developing.
Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Hi new friend, I am now following you via MBC.

Lauren Gardner said...

Fun blog! I am excited to read more. If you get a sec go check out my blog! :) Have a magical day!